10 Dec '14
Five Holiday Tips to Manage Your Diabetes
Want to enjoy the holidays and the food and still stay healthy?
These five tips can help keep you manage diabetes throughout the holidays
- Remember the holidays are about spending time with family and friends, not food. Relax, visit, play games, or spend time together outdoors.
- Stay Active- lack of physical activity is a main source of weight gain during the holidays. The holidays are busy, but set aside time each day for exercise and maintain your routine. The CDC recommends 150 minutes of exercise per week, but it can be in increments as short as 10 minutes! Use the extra time off to play sports or games in the yard.
- Enjoy the party, but don’t overdo it. Eat slowly to enjoy the seasonal foods and try to limit carbohydrates to the same amount you would normally eat. If you want desert, skip another carbohydrate during the main course.
- Drink in moderation- alcohol can add a significant amount of calories to your holiday intake. Try to limit consumption to 1-2 drinks and avoid mixers high in sugar and calories such as regular soda, margarita mix and juice.
- Get Back on Track! Don’t feel that you’ve failed if you eat or drink more than planned. Enjoy the company and monitor your blood glucose levels, exercise extra, and get back on track the next day.